- 37-year-old woman with the rare heart condition, giant cell myocarditis
- Presented with cardiogenic shock and was placed on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO).Initially received a HeartWare® LVAD and a CentriMag® right ventricular assist device.
- Developed heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, and as a result, clotted the LVAD.
- Additional surgery performed to remove pump and the majority of the heart and replace entire system with original Thoratec pump, T-VAD®, an external pump connected to pipes inside the body.
- Excellent. After close to ten surgeries and the entire spectrum of available pumps, the goal is heart transplantation.